A trialling journey

A TRIAL to reduce speed limits to 40kmh on Vincent’s southern residential streets is just around the corner, mayor Emma Cole says.

Last week we reported that new community group Our Streets at 40 had launched a campaign to get the speed limit on all residential streets in the city reduced to 40kmh (“Life begins at 40”, Voice, May 12, 2018).

Vincent council had been trying to hold a 40kmh trial in the south ward for the last two years, but it would have cost about $150,000, so they asked the then-Liberal state government for some funding.

That got a lukewarm reception.

• Geraldine Box and Andrew Main from Our Streets at 40.

In August 2016 Main Roads told the city that “council would be responsible for all aspects of the trial including funding”.

Ms Cole has requested a meeting with road safety minister Michelle Roberts to see if the new Labor state government would be more receptive to funding the trial.

The Vincent mayor says she’d support the council paying for the trial themselves if the state doesn’t want to contribute.

by DAVID BELL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s