VOICELAND venues cleaned up at the Australian Hotels Association awards, snagging 15 gongs.
AHA judges were impressed by a couple of newcomers:
• Mt Lawley’s new dessert and cocktail bar Measure picked up the award for best new venue
• Best cocktail bartender went to Bjorn Karason, at the newly opened Tiki as FK in Northbridge
• Petition Beer Corner got best draught beer quality (and no wonder, they have some brave, bold and out-there brews on tap)
Some longer-running favourites took out the top gong in their categories:
• Rosemount Hotel in North Perth won the best live entertainment venue award
• The Voice’s favourite casual first date open-air spot, Mechanics Institute, picked up best small bar and won best bar team
• Paddington Alehouse snagged best sporting entertainment venue
• The Queens in Highgate won best bar presentation and service venue
• Leederville’s Ria Malay Kitchen took out joint best restaurant award with Petition Kitchen
• Central Perth’s Laneway Lounge got best late night venue
• Best venue manager had four joint winners: Steve Halliday from C Restaurant, Katie Chan from Long Chim, Fiona Sham from Varnish on King and Five Bar’s Elodie Boneyd.