VINCENT council is going ahead with its 40kmh speed limit trial on suburban streets in the southern ward below Vincent Street (see last week’s story “Sixty want 40” at http://www.perthvoiceinteractive.com).
Councillors voted it in after 60 per cent of people who were surveyed said they supported a 40kmh limit.
Mayor Emma Cole told Tuesday night’s council meeting 60 per cent was significant support: “The UK has decided to exit the European Union with a smaller number,” she said.
The state government’s Road Safety Commission has come on board, studying the trial closely along with Monash Uni’s Accident Research Centre.
Councillors Dan Loden and Jonathan Hallett said they’d be keen to try a 30kmh limit in the future, but were happy to go with 40 for now.
ADVERTISEMENT – Click here to discover more.