Saving the streets

10. 790NEWSVincent locals are mobilising to save their heritage neighbourhoods as WA government changes came into effect yesterday, Friday August 2, allowing 240sqm blocks to subdivide.

The changes affect R80-zoned blocks, meaning more than 550 properties in Vincent could now be split in what’s expected to lead to a developer stampede.

Marie Slyth has long-fought to preserve the streetscape around the Cleaver Precinct and says the change is a huge threat to what’s left of the area’s century-old housing stock.

She’s written to WA heritage minister Albert Jacob asking that small historic lots be excluded from the changes.

The South Vincent Precinct Group was to discuss the changes at a crisis meeting August 1.

“We live in an area which is a very special pocket of inner-city cottages,” secretary Michelle Blakeley wrote to members.

“These cottages are under threat of being demolished for development.

“Do we want streets lined with garage doors as you see in East Perth?”

Vincent mayor Alannah MacTiernan says the changes had been sprung on the council at very short notice. She says the WA planning commission had been “very tight-lipped” about whether the changes would affect Vincent, and had only released details in June.

Ms MacTiernan, a former WA Labor planning minister, urges locals to attend a forum today, Saturday August 3, at 2pm at Vincent HQ on 1Loftus Street.

The WAPC was also invited but at the time of going to print there was no word on whether it would be sending a representative.

by DAVID BELL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s